A chocolate tempering machine has a long and storied history, dating back to the early 19th century. Let us know about the mechanism of the machines, and also some tips to make the most out of it.
The history of chocolate tempering machines:
- The first chocolate tempering machine was invented by Frenchman Conrad Van Houten in 1828. However, it was not until the mid-19th century that chocolate tempering machines began to gain widespread use.
- This was due in large part to the work of British scientist Sir Joseph Swan, who developed the first commercially successful chocolate tempering machine in 1879.
- Since then, chocolate tempering machines have undergone a number of refinements, but the basic principle remains the same: to heat and cool chocolate in a way that encourages the formation of stable cocoa butter crystals.
- Today, chocolate tempering machines are an essential tool for any chocolatier, and they continue to play a vital role in the production of high-quality chocolate.
How chocolate tempering machines work:
Chocolate tempering machines are specially designed to melt and cool chocolate in a controlled way. This process is essential for creating chocolate that has a smooth, glossy finish and a snap when you break it.
- The first step is to melt the chocolate to a temperature of between 115 and 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The next step is to cool the chocolate quickly by stirring it and bringing it into contact with a cold surface.
- Once the chocolate has cooled to approximately 80 degrees Fahrenheit, it is ready to be re-heated to between 87 and 89 degrees Fahrenheit.
- This final step ensures that the cocoa butter crystals are of the correct size, which gives the chocolate its signature sheen and snap.
Tips for using a chocolate tempering machine:
A chocolate tempering machine is a helpful tool for anyone who wants to create professional-quality chocolate candies at home. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when using this type of machine.
- First, it is important to make sure that the chocolate is of high quality.
- Second, the chocolate must be melted slowly and carefully, taking care not to overheat it.
- Third, once the chocolate has been melted, it must be cooled slightly before being poured into the tempered.
- Finally, once the chocolate has been poured into the tempered, it must be stirred constantly until it reaches the desired consistency.
By following these simple tips, anyone can create delicious chocolate candies using a chocolate tempering machine. Remember, chocolate that has been properly tempered will stay in this state for several hours, allowing you to create beautiful confections that will impress your guests.